Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"The Events of October" --


     The Events of October was quite a read. I am feeling unbelievable tired upon these last chapters. My heart has been hurting and my thoughts on overdrive for hours and hours. Mixed emotions; guilt, responsibility, disgust, compassion, remorse, confusion, exhaustion.
     I have heard Maggie’s story - Maggie & Neenef - that slip in itself plays into my dilemma - countless times since arriving to K in the fall of 2009. I have been to her memorial services, readings, I have seen the infamous 201, I have stood near her bench in silent remembrance. But never have I listened to her story told from such a wise perspective as Gail. No hearsay interrupted this story.
     I happen to have the pleasure of having Gail in class this quarter. In some strange way it was comforting to hear her voice shine through this piece. I saw words she often uses in lecture, I could feel her deep hurt and anger, as I’m sure other readers with less knowledge of her could as well, but it was helpful to know how passionate she is in telling true stories. Again, without having had conversations with the author, I appreciate her willingness to expose her methods from the get-go. On page 7 she says, “What follows is a chronicle of the days leading up to a particular October morning in 1999, and the days that came after. It’s a fusion of fact, memory testimony, impression, and one other ingredient, a potent and dangerous catalyst: imagination.” I so deeply respect such a statement. She exposes herself to what potentially could come as criticism, as others may have encountered this tragic experience in a different light.
     As far as her writing and reporting style, Gail seems to include narrative surrounding every imaginable aspect of this event. She discusses in serious depth Maggie Wardle, and to what depth she is able on Neenef Odah. She brings us as close as she is able to their relationship, via their messages back and forth and friend’s and parent’s accounts. She is sure to give a well-rounded picture of both, never casting Neenef as an inhumane person who simply murdered his ex and nothing more. She spoke of several faculty members, community members, students, student groups, counselors, and the list goes on. I don’t think one could honestly argue her credibility. It is also comforting to know that the author of such a story was very much a part of this event, this also seems to give her the credibility some other authors we’ve read have lacked.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the narrative voice is so strong in this book in part because of Gail's intimacy with the place and the events. I also have great respect and admiration for her as a teacher, colleague and friend. I wonder if other readers who don't know her the was we do also find her proximity to the story as lending credibility--or if it has the opposite effect.

    ReplyDelete