Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Process Writing


            This was a difficult class for me. I have always really enjoyed journalism classes, and definitely enjoyed this one, but felt more challenged than before. Was this due to being just back from abroad and lacking the school-skills I’ve normally developed by this point in the quarter? I’m not sure. I think that I was too scared to get out and find a really fantastic story and played it safe too often in this class. While I’m proud of the work I did, I hope that one day I am able to approach a random stranger and grab their story, like many of my classmates did, or as many of the brilliant journalists we read did.
            I find narrative journalism such an opportunity if done correctly. I just imagine all of the incredible people I could meet if I had the time and energy that some journalists have had in the past. I have felt really inspired this quarter through our readings, not only by the stories themselves, but by the insane amount of blood, sweat, and tears some have gone through to put these words and experiences on paper. Whew.
            I found my peers to be very helpful in editing. I appreciate the way our work-shops are set up – peers are discussing the work excluding the author – I think this makes for a very professional environment, and makes it easier to be honest and critical when necessary. This class was full of talented writers, and I feel that my respect for my classmates also helped in accepting constructive criticism when given.
            Finally, the video-audio slideshow was a very valuable part of the course. Learning to work with and create other forms of media is such a valuable asset! Saying this, it was also fantastic to have classmates introduce me to so many forms of media – radio, video – things I hadn’t paid much mind to in the past.
            I think what I’m really trying to say here is, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment